Friday 4 May 2012

The Importance of Stretching

I had a legs session this morning with Mel and we found that my hips and lower back are VERY tight and it's really impacting on my technique. I have always had issues with my lower back which impacts on my hip flexors plus the running I do each week and sitting at a desk for 9 hours a day, they get super tight and ouchie :-(


So here's abit on the importance of stretching from Trainer Mel:
'Sitting on our bums all day does nothing for our mobility and figures. Exercising hard and not stretching does the same thing. If you're exercising your butt off but not performing the exercises correctly because of tight muscles (common areas, the lower back, hip flexors and glutes) - not many people would be aware of their technique and if they are tight unless they have someone to offer feedback, will reduce your overall performance and the fat loss, muscle gain and fitness potential you get out of that workout.

STRETCHING IS TWICE AS IMPORTANT AS YOUR WORKOUT- do it at the beginning, end of your workout and whenever you can. Also look into options like yoga or ask your trainer to spend an entire session stretching you!

Train smarter not harder and make sure you get the maximum potential out of the time you spend on your workout!!'


Yes, I have heard this before but I guess I only half take it seriously (and I know I'm not the only one). So now it's time to get serious!

My fitness goal for 2012 was to incorporate yoga into my routine. It's always something I struggled to see the point in because it looked so - well - pointless, easy, boring are some of the words that come to mind!
Well, I was in for a shock... if you have never practiced yoga before, let me tell you, easy and boring it is not! And definitely not pointless as Mel as pointed out above.
I started practicing Hot Yoga in February (you can see Pure Hot Yoga's website here) and I am now converted! I LOVE YOGA!
I find it amazing for stress relief and mental clarity (especially as it got closer to the wedding, I swear it was Yoga that kept me sane!) Not to mention an awesome way for me to get my stretch on!


For a few different reasons I've only been able to do one yoga class a week and my poor lower back and hips are obviously suffering. So from today onwards I am committing to spending 5-10 mins daily doing the following awesome, hip stretching yoga poses. You should try them if you have ridiculously tight hips like moi!

Butterfly Pose


Happy Baby Pose

Pigeon Pose


Double Pigeon Pose



In other news, I have been pretty on track with my nutrition this week, no more sneaky afternoon choccies. Re-starting my food diary again has definitely helped.

Today is also Day 3 of the Herbalife challenge.
So far I am feeling good, plenty of energy. Trained early morning Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week with only 6 hours sleep on Thursday night and not feeling tired at all. As I have been on many of the supplements prior to starting this challenge, not many other changes to report as yet. Here's some of the yummy goodness I've been eating this week:


Banana Protein Smoothie - my fave! Made with almond milk, vanilla whey protein, flaxmeal and a frozen banana



My usual morning tea of berries, natural yogurt and flaxmeal



Clean Peri-Peri style chicken and salad
 


Berry Smoothie Made with almond milk, vanilla whey protein, flaxmeal, frozen berries & 1 scoop of Herbalife Formula 1 Shake



Chicken Larb Gai - thai style salad with lean chicken mince, coriander, chilli, mint, red onion & iceberg lettuce dressed in lime juice & fish sauce - so yummy!



Clean, gluten free chocolate cupcakes (I will post recipe soon!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment